Saturday, March 24, 2012

Almost 18 weeks!

The cherry blossoms and growing panza/belly are here!

Work has remained very busy, so the best time to see the cherry blossoms was at night! It was so exciting to think that for next year's cherry blossoms, we'll have our little girl or guy with us. And we will know the baby's gender 2 weeks from yesterday!

It's been a really good past week, despite a few changes in nausea/tastes. Nausea has been returning, particularly with metro rides, but I can work and continue through it. My tastes are changing pretty rapidly. I can't eat yogurt or my protein drinks now (high source of protein) without feeling nauseous, so got a mini blender to use at work so that I can mix more fruit and tasty things into these protein/soy milk drinks.

The best news of this past week is that we've been speaking with doulas, and I think I find our perfect match. I will wait until it's fully confirmed to share more, but after speaking with one particular doula yesterday, I feel even more happy and excited about the birth process, and completely comfortable with all the choices we've made so far, including even our doctor choice.

My Dad, Ann, and Elizabeth offered us the wonderful gift of post partum doula support, which will also be a tremendous help for me, Jose, and our BB.

And on top of these good doula details, I've been doing more and more prenatal yoga - both via my regular Thursday classes at a yoga studio close to my office, and also via some DVDs. I'm feeling great to be practicing different stretches and poses that will help me with delivery and being a strong Momma. And particularly with the stamina poses, I'm feeling strong and capable - which are good feelings to have, even though you never do know how labor will be for you!

Overall, we're just both feeling great about the pregnancy, the birth, and of course our little baby - now 5 and a half inches long!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    This is going to sound totally weird, but I found your blog after watching a TED Talk by Jonathan Harris, who is the creator of "We Feel Fine." http://www.wefeelfine.org/

    He designed the program to mine the internet, specifically social media sites, for uses of the word "feel" in order to help identify trends in mood around the world. When the program finds a sentence using the word, it becomes a color-coded dot and is added to a sea of thousands colorfully dancing around the screen. You can click on one, and it will show you the sentence the dot represents. I tried a few, but then one caught my eye. They move pretty fast, but I was able to catch it and click on it. It brought up the sentence,"I will wait until it's fully confirmed to share more, but after speaking with one particular doula yesterday, I feel even more happy and excited about the birth process, and completely comfortable with all the choices we've made so far, including even our doctor choice."

    I thought it was AMAZING because two of my best friends are pregnant right now, and they've been talking to me about the "birth process" and educating me about doulas. I was curious and I clicked the sentence. It brought me to your blog. Of the thousands of dots on the screen, to find a statement made by a person in the DC area who is pregnant and posted about something I've been discussing friends is mind-blowing. In fact, one of them, who is also doing prenatal yoga, used the exact words "strong" and "capable."

    I'm really hoping this doesn't feel invasive because finding your post today was a much needed boost to my spirits, which have been a little low lately. This whole experience has reminded me of something I fundamentally believe, something that has been tested recently, namely how much we all have in common and the beauty of the shared human experience. The fact that that process took place online is especially serendipitous.

    I guess the old saying is true. When we share our personal truth, we have no idea how we might change someone else's life. Thank you for sharing yours. I wish you and your family, including your new addition, immeasurable amounts of happiness, health and love.

    Sincerest Wishes,
    EO Jackson

    ReplyDelete