Monday, May 7, 2012

Nicolas Luca Cabrera

A few week ago, we decided on the name for our little guy: Nicolas Luca Cabrera (Nico for short)

Nicolas is the Patron saint of sailors, ships, and the sea, and also of the country of Greece – a place that my Mom and I traveled to together, and that represents my Mom to me.

Luca means “bringing light,” and also links to the name of the church where Granhud and Granbud, my Mom's parents, were married in Panama: St Lucas.

Nico and Luca are also Italian names, which links to Jose’s Mom’s background (the Macchi in Jose Cabrera Macchi).

Al this past weekend brought a gift for Nico from my Mom: a little painting of sailboats in the Bahamas, that looks a lot like a sailboat race that Jose, Al, and my Mom had seen together there. Al had been with my Mom when she bought the little painting in the Bahamas, and thinks that she was buying it waiting for the right person to give it to, and that she would want to give this to Nico to help decorate his sailboat themed room, as the patron saint of sailors. 

1 comment: